Saturday, April 07, 2007

RCOB moment over coyote hunting

This happened several weeks ago and i thought it prudent to let my temper settle before i wrote about it. I posted on several of my forums over this and got some interesting answers. It all goes like this:

Went coyote hunting with my wife's brother. He doesnt like autos at all but respects my choices in firearms. He shoots bolt actions with glass. I have issues with scopes and my eyes so i only own one gun w/scope. Anyway we were out hunting and had four yotes come over the hill in front of us. I let him have the first shot and then i dumped the whole mag and tagged two more on the run. He had video fo it and when we got back to town we played it and the first thing out of the father in laws mouth was: "Why's you burn so much ammo?" and "Nobody needs automatics like that ot hunt with." I asked him about Zumbo and he said it was too bad that a bunch of nuts ruined a guys career. The rift grows bigger because he says i dont need to hunt with them until i get a "proper" rifle for hunting. then he says in the next breath he wants my help welding up a boat trailer (i was a certified welder in my past). The brother doesnt care what i hunt with, he says thats my business.

I recieved responses varying from, "you're a F'ing idot for hunting with an AR" to "you should shoot your FIL for thinking he can tell you what to do." And downhill from there.

At the moment there is an uneasy peace between us to make things liveable but i have a bad feeling this will come up later.

Right now im kind of dissilusioned with hunting and hunters in general. Now im not trying to rip on all hunters but around here it seems that hunting season brings out the nasty in everybody. Pissing contests over hunting land rights are common and its not toally unheard of for fists to be thrown. I enjoy huntign for the hunt, not the kill. If i needed meat id drive to the supermarket or butcher shop. Ive gotten to the point where i no longer enjoy the killing of animals. No, im not a tree hugger. i know that animals need to die to maintain a balance and hunting is a strategic part of that. What im tired of is the wanton destruction of the gene pool by trophy hunting for horns and needless suffereing of critters because of piss poor hunters.

I'll post more on this later. My bloo dis boiling now and i need to calm down bwefore i say something stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home