Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hellish way to start the day

I had a hell of a morning. I work 1-10 PM and slept till about 10AM or so. I had a few errands to run so i left for work a littel early. I got my buisness done and was driving down the ihgway to work and i cold see a wisp of smoke ahead of me over the hill. I thought maybe somebody was buring garbage or something but by the time i got over the hill it had gotten pretty big. I topped the rise and there was a 40' tradewinds camper in this guys yard ON FIRE! There was an old guy trying to fight it with a garden hose all by himslef. I called it in to the PD on my cell while i pulled in and when i got off the phone i could see the camper was going to be a loss. Then i spotted a 300lb propane cyclinder between the camper and the farmhouse. It was hot enough the piant was starting to blister and i yelled for the old guy to run in case it blew up or vented. I saw that if the cyclnder went the fire was going to spread to the farmhouse and the FD was 20 minutes away. So I pulled my wool stocking cap over my ears and ran in next to the burning RV, turned off the tank, cut the hose and rolled it out the line of the fire. It was hot enough that it scalded the palms of my hands while i rolled it. Then something exploded inside the camper and both me and the old guy backed off about 100 yards and let it burn. In retrospect i guess it was pretty dumb to go running in there when i could have barbequed or blown to bits at any second but it was one of those times where your gut takes over and you act in a split second without thinking about it. You get the rest of the day to wonder why you would be dumb enough to pull a stunt like that and walk away from it. All in all i guess it turned out OK. Nobody got hurt and the fire was contained to the vehicle and a couple trees. I guess the old adage that god watched out for stupid people holds true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home