Sunday, January 28, 2007

Lesson learned

From my post at the hi point forums...

I went out ot the range to try out my new hi power. I checked it all over real close before i bought it so i knew there were no problems. I fired about half a dozen rounds of my generic lead reloads and POW!, case rupture. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I thought i had a bad batch of reloads so i went home and pulled about 20 rounds from different boxes of the last batch and several from previous batches.

I pulled them down an weighed the bullets and powder and check the flash holes. All was within spec. I took several boxes from the last and previous batches out with my C9, G17 and the hi power (after careful cleaning and inspection). The C9 and G17 shot all of the ammo i fed with no problems, or pressure signs (i had a few holed primers, but thats par for the course with cheap remy primers and a C9) I shot 50 rounds from both batches and inspected brass with no problems.

I shot rounds singly out of the hi power and within a few rounds was getting high pressure signs (primers falling out, case bulges, flattened case head lettering) i stopped and inspected and found that the chamber of the hi power was shaving the bullets as they seated and leaving bits of lead behind. Neither of my other guns do this. It would build up after a few rounds and really jack up the pressure. I guess ill just have to stick to jacketed rounds for this one. Other than that it was an excellent shooter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home